background

background

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

And to one he gave one talent...

Ok. Probably not the actual scriptural quote, but I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up. I was making dinner tonight and thinking while the kids played in their room about the pre-pregnant me and all the things I did. I wouldn't say I'm the one who got ten talents, but maybe five or more likely three. I danced moderately well in college and I sing. I did some very mediocre acting in high school. I was good at math until I got to college and realized what math actual is...found out you need a thinking brain not just a memorizing brain. But I am good at memorizing when I want to.
These were my talents that I tried to develop and show to the world. I don't do hardly any of these things now. So have I hid my talents under a bushel? Not intentionally, but motherhood, time and money have seemed to bury them for me.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Holli- Sometimes I feel that way too. Sometimes I feel like I have lost who I am, because I rarely do the things that I would love to be doing. However, we need to remember the phrase "No success can compensate for failure in the home." Our kids are our biggest priority and I don't want to screw them up.

Roxanne said...

I like to think of it too, that our talents mold who we become and as we develop them we open opportunities for all kinds of things. Each phase of life can bring new talents and the old ones aren't really gone because they have become a part of how we do everything else. You have developed new talents as a mom you maybe never even have thought about when you were focused on the other "pre-mommy" talents. I think it will keep changing as life changes. It makes me happy to think about developing skills in the phase of life I'm in, and looking forward to the ones yet to come! I think God must have known it would overwhelm me if I saw them all at once:) keep up the good work-I think you are great mom and you have adorable kids!

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

You are definitely a ten talent person. Those five that you mentioned had their glory days (okay maybe math will come back to you when your help your kids with their homework, and dancing when you dance with your kids during the movie credits, and singing... well, you will make a great candidate for singing leader in primary...isn't that building the kingdom???) and the other five...well, those maybe you haven't even discovered. I think good listener and true friend are definitely up there. And you are a GREAT Mom and so good in the kitchen. I am so glad you posted on this, because it gave me a chance to think on how talented you are and how lucky I am to be your friend!! Oh btw, I don't know Roxanne, but she hit the nail on the head. I think different talents come as we seek after good.